Thursday, May 4, 2017

Lit Circle - Chernowitz!

1. Do you like what you're reading? Why or why not?

I'm enjoying what I'm reading at the moment. Chernowitz sends off an important message, notifying us teens that discrimination and anti-semitism will always be around, and how horrible it can be to a person despite the 'humour'. The book is about a 15-year old boy named Bob 'Bobby' Cherno, in which he gets bullied and picked on every now and then by Emmett Sundback and a few other people such as Bobby's old friend, Bryan Denny. Because Bobby is Jewish, Emmett calls him Chernowitz, in relation to Auschwitz, "witz". I really like what I'm reading because the moments in the book make me feel like I am there to experience everything. Things like that usually don't happen in Heritage, so reading this kind of surprises me, and I like surprises. Reading books that have cliffhanging chapters sure does leave me intrigued. I catch myself reading ahead sometimes, which is a good sign for a person like me, and by that, I mean I don't usually read unless the book is critically acclaimed a good book.

2. List 5 major events in order from which happened first to last.

So far in the book, Bobby Cherno is being bullied by Emmett Sundback due to his religion and race. As mentioned in the last paragraph, Bobby is Jewish, so therefore, Emmett has been picking on him and has been calling him nicknames since the last few chapters. Within those times, Bryan and Bobby has been very distant. They used to be best friends, until Bryan started hanging out with Emmett. Bryan followed the crowd of bullying Bobby by being named Jewish, in which created conflict between Bobby, Emmett, and Bryan. The 'beef' between Bobby and Emmett increased when Emmett called Bobby a "kike". A kike is a Jewish person, although being called a kike isn't okay, because it's used as an insult. After those events, Bryan crossed the line when he had told Bobby to move, but in an offensive way, stating, "Move over, Jew bastard, you take up too much room. That is where the line had been crossed, and the perseverance for hope between Bobby and Bryan was crushed.

3. Pretend you are a friend of one of the characters. Write him/her a letter.

Dear Emmett,
 I believe that you should stop harassing Bobby with anti-semitism, the racist name calling, and the bullying. Just because Bobby is Jewish, doesn’t mean you have the right to bully him. It is his religion and there’s nothing you can do about it to change him. Your bullying and harassment resulted a group of people, especially Bobby’s old best friend, Bryan, bullying him as well just for his religion. I do not care if you were ‘just kidding,' I do not care if you were just ‘fooling around’. The words have been hurting Bobby for quite a long time and I just demand you stop it. He lost his only real friend, Bryan, because of you. You may have gotten a laugh out of it, but Bobby didn’t. Quit your actions before I involve teachers and parents. #JusticeForCherno

No comments:

Post a Comment